Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Will Windows 7 Overcome Anti-Virus Fear and Loathing?

Will Windows 7 Overcome Anti-Virus Fear and Loathing?:
"But beyond that obvious complaint, over and over, I find that security suites are the buggiest, most troublesome applications on my systems. I’ve spent innumerable hours nursing these “solutions” along, working around them, fixing them, reinstalling them."

I have had very similar feelings to the author with regard to anti-virus software. I haven't yet had a chance to install the Windows 7 RC, however I've been impressed with Microsoft's effort on securing Vista and Windows 7. Unfortunately, as with UAC, you can't always do everything you want. However I think one of the biggest leaps in security with these versions of Windows has been the unprivileged user.

I would never advocate running without anti-virus software, though as it is a necessary part of a defense-in-depth strategy for either home or business use. Maybe someday anti-virus vendors will put as much effort into streamlining and cleaning up their applications as Microsoft has to making their OS more secure out of the box. Maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment